What could be better than a celebration of music, theatre, dance, fireworks and culture set in the iconic Edinburgh Castle and surrounding natural wonders of Loch Lomond?
The fourth annual Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo is fast approaching, and will take place from 7-29 August with performances held every day except Sunday.
This year’s event is set to be the most spectacular show yet, with performers from over 48 countries ready to take part. The show piece event celebrates ‘East Meets West’ and will present an inspiring array of pipers, drummers, singers, dancers – as well as the famous Swiss percussion group ‘Top Secret Drum Corps’.
Some of the diverse acts from around the globe that will feature at the Edinburgh Tattoo include a Caribbean steel band, traditional highland dancers and a group of glamorous Bollywood performers.
The annual celebration of music and entertainment is known for attracting attention and visitors from all over the globe, and this year is set to be no different, with 30 per cent of the 220,000 audience expected to come from overseas.
For those that can’t attend the festival in person, the annual Edinburgh Tattoo is televised and attracts an audience of over 100 million worldwide.
Handy Visitor Tips
Planning to visit the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo festival for the first time? We’ve put together some of the best tips from previous attendees to make sure you get the most out of your trip:
- Prepare for all types of weather – especially rain. Umbrellas are not allowed but a poncho is a pretty good idea. Remember that the event is open air and the castle is high up (wind alert)
- Go with an open mind. Many visitors are not sure what to expect, but always have positive things to say about the Tattoo
- Book tickets as far in advance as possible (the festival has been known to sell out quickly)
- If you love fireworks, book for a Saturday when there is an extended firework display
- Bring tissues! Some of the performances can get pretty emotional
Edinburgh Tattoo Packages
With National Holidays you can book a three day package, giving you chance to visit scenic Scotland and see what all the fuss is about with an excursion to the renowned Edinburgh Tattoo Festival. You will also receive overnight accommodation, a panoramic tour of Loch Lomond, the majestic peaks of the Trossachs and Callander, breakfast and evening meals throughout the trip.
There are over ten different departure points across England. Full details, dates and prices can be found on our Edinburgh Tattoo itineraries page.